Pages

Tuesday, June 2, 2009

all the women who are independent...


throw your hands up at meeee

okay - so this Beyonce song has been running through my head all day...as annoying as it is, it's because I realized that's part of what I'm learning while I'm here.

Granted, I've done a fair amount in my life. I'm not what you'd call a "homebody." I've traveled, gone away from home for college. I'm generally pretty independent. But this summer is the first time I've been totally on my own. I went to a new church, by myself, for the first time this past Sunday. I got dinner, by myself, yesterday...I'm exploring a whole new city, pretty much on my own.

I observe a lot of different things when I'm on my own. I notice how people treat you when I don't have someone to fall back on, I people watch more. I think a lot more about the world in general, now they may not be deep thoughts, but I still think more.

Now that I've realized this I get to think more about it over the next 2.5 months I'm here...

3 comments:

Rose said...

Isn't it fun?? I can totally get what you are saying!

Trisha Carlson said...

Don't forget that you're taking public transportation by yourslef! :-)

Liene Stevens said...

I've been traveling a lot for business (different state every week) and all of it has been solo. It is an interesting experience - and I can so relate to your observations on how people treat others.