Pages

Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Bowman and Blue Cheese

This week I dove headlong into studying for the NCLEX (or nursing boards). Except it wasn't so much of a dive as it was like someone came up and pushed me in a cold pool, clothes, cell phone, and all. That's besides the point today.

Last week I was in Baltimore visiting my sister, brother-in-law and new nephew Bowman (who just started his own blog, you should check it out)! He loves drinking, pooping, sleeping, fussing and U2. And he is, of course, the cutest baby in the world. See exhibit A.

Exhibit A.
See what I mean? Any-who, while I was there I stumbled upon a culinary treat: blue cheese. Now, I am not entirely a blue cheese lover, but in moderation it is superb. We ate at The Dogwood in Hampden. Semi-fancy restaurant, with walls that look like a 5 year old painted. It was local and community focused, which is cool. There I had blue cheese macaroni. The blue cheese was a little overpowering, but I was inspired nevertheless.

Later that week I ventured to make my own version of a blue cheese pasta. I adapted the recipe from the good 'ol Betty Crocker Cookbook. Here's what happened:

1) Gather ingredients: 2 tbs butter, 2 cups milk (I used half cream half milk), garlic, some blue cheese (adapt based on how much you like, I used around 1/2 a cup crumbled up), 1 cup of shredded mozerella cheese, 1/2 a cup of parmesan, pasta (we used whole wheat spaghetti) 2) Cook spaghetti. Once it's a done as you like it (I prefer a little al dente) drain and put back in pot (maybe add a little olive oil to keep it from sticking if you want)

3) Meanwhile (I love when recipes say that because it means you have to be MULTI-TASKING in the kitchen, which is always fun), melt the butter and add the garlic to saute for a little bit. Turn head on med-low and add the milk. Warm milk til it coats the spoon.

3) Now dump the cheese in the milk mixture. Stir the cheese in to melt it.

4) Once it's mostly melted, pour that into the pasta and mix it in real good. Some of the cheese will be goopy (or at least it was for me because I'm impatient). Now cover the pot and let it sit there. For a while. Like ten minutes or so. Or longer depending on what you have to get done.


4) Garnish with some basil. Why basil? It's what we had. Now EAT IT. and enjoy.

1 comment:

Trisha Carlson said...

and it was good!

Now that you're gone, Tia, all we've managed to eat is taco salad. Who is going to cook us delicious meals and bake banana bread?