Pages

Sunday, June 15, 2008

An Ode To My Dad

On this, the 15th of June, 2008, my 19th year of celebrating my Dad, I thought I would dedicate an entry just to him :)

I loved coming home from school on a Friday afternoon because I knew there would be Dad, standing in the kitchen window, with all the ingredients for delicious chocolate-chip cookies waiting for us to mix up. And the cookie in the shape of an A was the best thing in the world.
After I would cry out in frustration, "I can't," He would simply say "Can't it's not in my dictionary...so you can." And of course, I would. 
When I asked him yet another ridiculous question, he started laughing to himself and said"Turn the other cheek," which I've taken more to heart than the moment called to.
He loves  my mother; which is the most important thing I think a father can do.
I respect the choices he has made for his family, his lifestyle and his career. Giving up his passion for his kids, knowing God would call him back to it. Moving us when it probably would have been easier to stay put. Sacrificing things to set an example, memorizing endless amounts of Bible verses, and dedicating himself to whatever he does. 
And probably the best advice he's ever given me was scribbled on a note I found in a pair of socks in my suitcase when I was in Kenya. It read simply, "Love God. Love People. And stay away from the crocodiles."

1 comment:

Sarah Rutledge said...

I just cried a little. a lot embarassing since I'm at work. your dad is amazing. and I'm glad you know that :)