Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

The lost art of spontaneity

A few days ago, I sent a message to 20 or so of my friends and simply asked if anyone would like to get dinner. I got only got 4 responses from people saying they were busy or had prior commitments. This really shouldn't surprise me. We live in a planned out, "know what you're doing for every minute of the next three weeks" kind of world. Don't get me wrong, this is not a blog about how angry I am at those people for having other stuff to do. In fact, I am probably worse at being spontaneous than most people. If it's not in my planner, highlighted with the appropriate color I may not be able to do it. Even if it's not written down I at least need a thought that it might happen in order to plan it into my day accordingly.

This really gets me in to trouble. I get upset with people if they bail on plans we have. Or if someone didn't have the same thought about when we would hang out I mentally freak out a little bit and have a hard time adjusting my schedule. I think this is a really bad habit I have developed. I want to be good and just dropping the not-so-important daily tasks to spend time with people I love or leaving chunks of time open in my day so I can be spontaneous.

This is going to take a lot of conscious effort on my part. In fact, I think I'll make it a New Years resolution of sorts. I'll really have to work hard at it. But if you're reading this - feel free to help me to work on it! Go ahead, call me for coffee.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am totally this way too. Let's work in this together.

love you!

Brittany Shelton said...

Erin, Rahel and I spontaneously dyed and cut my hair on Sunday :) I thought of you while we were doing it!