Anyways, here is a non-fig related recipe.
Chickpea, Tomato and Barley Soup (adapted from this Whole living recipe)
- 1 cup barley
- olive oil
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 2 carrots, cut into 1/2-inch lengths
- 2 celery stalks, cut into pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can (14 1/2 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1) I precooked my barley. Easy-peasy, soak for one hour, then rinse off. For the ratio use 1 cup barley to 3 cups water, bring to boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes. I did a little less because I knew I would be cooking it a little more in the soup.
2) Next, add some olive oil to your soup pot, get it nice and hot, then throw in the celery, carrots, onion and garlic. Stir/cook until a little soft, about 5 minutes. Throw in your spices and add the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, then simmer for a little while.
3) After about 15 minutes of this I went ahead and added my barley to the mix, let it cook for another 10 minutes. Next throw in the chickpeas and crushed tomatoes (btw, I used an extra big can of tomatoes, the 28 oz one, and the soup was still good). let cook until warmed through, or until you're ready to eat.
Now serve. Perfect for our oddly cool weather this weekend! Guess what, it's vegan!