Pages

Saturday, August 7, 2010

Shortbread

Shortbread is one of my favorite things in life. Honestly, a latte and a piece of shortbread on a cool morning with a good book and I couldn't be happier. In fact, I used to get a box of Walker's shortbread every Christmas. I once tried to make some when I was 13 and ended up doubling the salt content due to an unsalted vs. salted butter incident. Needless to say it did not end well. This past week, since I had close to nothing to do, I decided to make some.

Below is a step-by-step picture guide of me making Shortbread adapted from this recipe from the food network.

1) Gather ingredients.
2 sticks of butter
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
2 cups flour1 tsp salt
my secret ingredient (which isn't a secret, just scroll down)
2) In goes the butter to the mixer. I mixed this up first a bit by itself, then added the sugars and mixed until fluffy. As soon as you do this add in the flour and salt. Now, mine looked SUPER crumbly so I added a spoonful of sour cream. Call me crazy, but it worked.

3) Then you smoosh it into a greased pan. I used this adorable tart dish of my moms. Score the dough into sections. I just eyeballed it and failed, but whatever. Put it in the fridge to chill for 1/2 an hour.

4) Go to the gym. Okay - this is just me and not necessary for the recipe. But I did it to balance out the 629 calories I was going to eat in shortbread later.

5) Come home from gym. Preheat oven to 300. Bake for an hour. Shower in the meantime because you may be sweaty if you went to the gym. Take it out, LET IT CHILL (if you don't it will crumble) and cut along the scored lines (which are almost completely baked out, but oh well).
6) Pour yourself a big glass of milk, trust me, and get yourself a piece. Now try not to eat the whole pan in one sitting.

5 comments:

Trisha Carlson said...

Sounds super good!

Now, since I want Mom to make these, but am not sure if she can find confectioners sugar, what do you recommend?

nephew

PS - I'm playing with the Gilbert the Giraffe you gave me. :-)

Angela said...

http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/scottish-shortbread-iv/Detail.aspx

http://thepioneerwoman.com/cooking/2009/08/shortbread-cookies/

Here are two alternate links sin confectioners sugar

Angela said...

And Bowman - I'm glad you like Gilbert :) Someday when you're older I'll teach you where he's from.

Charles said...

Oh, Angie, my pants just got tighter just thinking about eating this shortbread.
I really enjoy your blog...Love, Kristin

Kirsten said...

I like it! Very pioneer woman-esque!

I also love shortbread - so simple and so delicious! I would greatly appreciate it if you moved to Tucson so we could cook and bake together on a regular basis :)