Pages

Saturday, October 8, 2011

Mary and Friends: Books, Again.

I recently heard, on NPR or something, that when P. L. Travlers was taken to the premier of Mary Poppins the movie, she came out and stated, "all of the animation has to go." Needless to say it was a little late for that in the process, but that story gave me the inkling to read the books. Let me preface my review by saying that Mary Poppins was my favorite movie until I was twelve (then it was Cool Runnings). I loved that crazy nanny. That is why I never thought I would hate the books. Why you ask? Mary Poppins is mean. Seriously, she is narcissistic (at least once a chapter Mary stops and stares at herself in the shop windows). She pretends the crazy adventures she goes on with Jane and George are just ludicrous when the kids try to reminisce and she does not take the kids in the painting adventure with the chimney sweep. WHY DO THE KIDS STILL LIKE HER? I can't lie, I didn't even finish Mary Poppins Comes Back (the second book) because I would rather not continue to tarnish my view of the loveable nanny.



Thankfully this book was better. I never read the original Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants books, but I did see the movies. Confession: I own them. I picked up this book at the recommendation of a friend, which follows the four best friends as grown ups in their late twenties. It starts off rather grim, but of course ends much much better. I may have even cried while reading the book. Well done, Brashares, well done.

On another note, I made potato crust quiche this morning for breakfast with friends. Definitely increased my love of quiche by like 40% since I (not so) secretly hate the pastry crust.

No comments: