Pages

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Neck Fat, Cancer & Whales: Book Reviews


I've been a reading machine.

I Feel Bad About My Neck and Other Thoughts on Being a Woman by Nora Ephron

I love Nora's movies. In fact I just got When Harry Met Sally and made my husband watch it. My mom had read this book awhile ago and said it was pretty funny so I thought I'd pick it up. Ephron expounds on being a middle aged woman, hating her neck and about how she hosts. I did chuckle out loud a few times but overall think I would think it would have been funnier if I were 45.








When God and Cancer Meet by Lynn Eib

Lynn is herself a colon cancer survivor and she writes about other cancer patients and how they encounter God in the midst of their struggles. I thought it would mostly be stories about people, but it was more of a guide for cancer patients on how to seek God. Unless you have cancer, or are an oncology nurse I don't really recommend just picking this one up for fun. It did give me a good perspective on how to interact with my patients though.













Songs of the Humpback Whale by Jodi Picoult

I've read a few other books by Picoult and enjoyed them. In this book she chronicles the journey of a woman who leaves her husband, drives across country and hangs out with her brother at an apple orchard where he works. Her daughter comes along for the ride and her husband, a prominent whale scientist, follows them. The story line isn't the most compelling, but it was a quick read and I finished it in 3 days.

1 comment:

Ash said...

Fun fact: When Harry Met Sally is my favorite movie. I've been reading too, by the miracle that is the audio book. Thank goodness for the ability to multitask!