You guys know I love a good granola bar. Remember these? Well, I found another great recipe. They're made with pitted dates, which are a fantastic natural sweetener, and peanut butter. And the addition of dark chocolate chips? BONUS
Peanut Butter Hiking Bars
Adapted from Whole Living
- 1 cup water
- 10-12 pitted dates
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup almonds
- 2/3 cup peanut butter
- 5 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 4 tsp honey
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1) Preheat the oven to 350. Bring the cup of water to a boil and then add the dates. Set aside.
2) Put the rolled oats in a food processor and pulse until it's consistency of coarse meal. Do the same with the almonds. Original recipe calls for pecans and you could use those as well. Put the nuts and oats in a large bowl.
3) Here's where it can get messy. Put peanut butter, dates (along with water) into food processor until smooth. Add this to bowl and mix until smooth. Add honey, salt and ground flaxseed and stir well.
4) Line an 8x8 pan with parchment paper, I also sprayed mine with some non-stick spray. Pour batter in and smooth until even. If using chocolate chips, sprinkle on top and press in so they stick.
5) Bake for 25 minutes or until edges brown. Take out of oven and let cool. When completely cool, cut into bars. Store in refrigerator.