Pages

Friday, March 8, 2013

Vanilla Walnut "Shortbread"


I feel a little bit of writers' block. Not that I call myself a writer, normally I just babble on about random stuff before introducing a tasty snack of some sort. This time I'm just going to jump right in with why I made these vanilla walnut "shortbread" cookies.
I really enjoy is having delicious pre-made snacks ready in the freezer. Waffles, smoothies, these delicious pseudo-shortbread cookies. These come together in a snap and are quite fantastic (and gluten-free!)
You put the ingredients in a food processor, pulse for a few minutes, then form into cookies and freeze. No turning on the oven even.
I happened to have made these a few days before my best friend came to visit. Since she eats gluten free it was a total bonus to have these ready in the freezer. If she hadn't surprised me I totally could have played it off like I had just whipped these up since I knew she was coming. But maybe you can too.

Vanilla Walnut No Cake Cookies
adapted from Shutterbean

Ingredients
  • 2 cups walnuts
  • 1 cup unsweetened coconut
  • 1/4 cup honey
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • pinch of sea salt
To Make

1) Put walnuts, coconut, honey, vanilla and salt in food processor. Pulse until smooth. It will take a few minutes. Once it's done scrape the dough into a mixing bowl.

2) Using your hands, rolls pieces of the dough into balls roughly 1 and 1/2 inches in diameter. Then flatten the balls into cookies. Freeze for an hour and enjoy! (Keep them stored in an airtight container)


No comments: