I feel like holiday breakfasts are underrated most of the time. Who gets excited about Thanksgiving breakfast? No one, you just end up snaking on those weird onion things all morning long. Gross.
Finally, lets take a minute to acknowledge that I got my stuff together in time to make a holiday recipe and post it before the actual holiday. Happy Holiday Week!
Blueberry Crumb Cake
adapted from Everyday Food: Good Food Fast
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, plus extra for pan and blueberries
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup milk (or buttermilk)
- 1 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
For Struesel topping:
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup cold, unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
1) Preheat oven to 350*. Grease and flour a 8 or 9 inch sqaure baking pan, dust with flour.
2) Using a mixer, cream butter and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add in egg. In another bowl, whisk flour, powder, soda, salt and cinnamon in a bowl.
3) Now, alternate mixing in the flour and milk just until combined.
4) Wash and dry the blueberries. Stir 1 tsp of flour to cover them. Once down, fold in the blueberries to the batter. Spread the batter evenly in the plan.
5) Make the streusel topping but mixing all ingredients together until moist crumbs form, using your hands or a pastry cutter. Sprinkle topping over the batter.
6) Bake for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out cool. Let cool completely before serving.