Pages

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Book reviews: Willberforce, Little Tree and Running


Sheesh, I've been slacking on the reading! But never fear, I'm reading lots here at the cabin, especially considering I work two days a week! Here are the reviews for the last three books that I've finished.

Running the Rift by Naomi Benaron

Read this book. That is my recommendation. I picked this book up randomly at the library and saw that Kingsolver (my fav author) had written glowing reviews of this book so I figured I would read it. I finished the last 150 pages in one morning laying on the couch. 
Nkuba Jean Patrick is a boy/man growing up in Rwanda. He becomes a runner with Olympic potential and faces the challenges of being a Tutsi during the time of political challenges leading up to the genocide. It was really interesting to read about the genocide as historical fiction. Of course there is a love story as well, making it all the more compelling. 

The Education of Little Tree by Forrest Carter

This is the fictionalized memoir about Carter living with his Cherokee grandparents after his parents die. He writes from the perspective of a child getting to know the mountain home of his grandparents. He helps his grandfather with his moonshine operation during prohibition, learns to read from his Granma and runs around the area. I did some research on the book after I read it and apparently the book is shrouded in controversy. Forrest Carter is a pseudoym for Asa Earl Carter and although it was claimed to be a nonfiction memoir it was actually fiction and others had issues with the stereotyping. You can read more about that on Wikipedia if you feel like it but the book is still good.

Amazing Grace by Eric Metaxas

This is the story about William Wilberforce, a member of the British Parliment, who championed abolition in England and their colonies. He is truly inspirational. He grew up in a well-to-do family and ended up sort of wasting his college years but he got into politics early after finishing. After a conversion experience he become a leader and advocate for the social reform and leads the cause for abolishing slavery. The book is a little slow at the end but I would recommend it. 


No comments: