Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Honey Walnut Ice Cream


My bff got me the Joy the Baker cookbook for Christmas/when it was released. This week I made my first official JTB cookbook recipe. Bottom line: it was really good. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • 1/2 tsp veggie oil (I actually used olive oil and it was fine)
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 cups whole milk
  • 1/2 cup honey
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 5 large egg yolks
  • pinch o' salt
  • 1/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup heavy cream



1) Roast walnuts by preheating oven to 400 degrees. Toss walnuts with olive oil and salt, roast in oven for about 8 minutes. Let cool in a separate bowl. You may need to label these so your family doesn't eat them. 


2) In a heavy saucepan, mix milk and honey and heat until just boiling. Let it cool slightly while you whisk the egg yolks, salt and sugar. Do this until it is pale yellow. It took me about 6 minutes and I counted it as my arm workout for the day.

3) After this you need to slowly drizzle about half the milk mixture into the yolk mixture (this is apparently getting the eggs ready to be cooked). Transfer this back into the saucepan and place over medium heat. 

4) Make the custard by stirring constantly with a spatula until it coast the back of a wooden spoon (about 8-10 minutes). 

5) Now remove from heat, stir in the vanilla and cream. Pour this through a fine mesh strainer into a clean bowl. Refrigerate for about 2 hours (or while you drive to the nearest national Park). Finally you can now mix it in your ice cream maker according to your manufacturer's instructions. At the end add the walnuts. 

I found that I needed to put it in the freezer for a little bit to get it solid enough to eat like ice cream. We then ate it on a peach-blueberry crisp and it was delish. 



No comments: