Pages

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Not quite Sebasitan Joe's

Our family has a collective favorite ice cream store called Sebastian Joe's. This little gem, located in Minneapolis, has the absolute best ice cream flavor in the world: raspberry chocolate chip. I've never found it anywhere else either. The last time I was there, in December, I went up to the counter and stated "I'd like the biggest size you have" and the girl just looked me strangely.

Since this past Sunday was father's day and I've been making ice cream lately (like this honey walnut) I decided to surprise him with a homemade version of our favorite ice cream! I adapted it from the Dark Raspberry Chocolate Chunk recipe from Phoo-d. 

Raspberry Chocolate Chip Ice Cream!


Ingredients:
  • 1 cup of whole milk
  • 2 cups of whipping cream
  • 1 cup of sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 6 cups of raspberries (I used frozen and thawed them slightly in the freezer)
  • 8 oz of semi-sweet chocolate, chopped (I chopped up 2 Ghiradelli bars)
Now to begin: place milk, whipping cream sugar, salt and raspberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture is warm.

Now, let the mixture steep for about 20 minutes (lets hope you're not making it at 11 at night and can really stay awake for this).  After it's steeped, strain through a fine metal strainer into a clean bowl. (I didn't have a fine metal strainer as I'm not in my own kitchen and it was okay but would be better if strained more effectively(. 

Now cool this mixture for 4 hours or overnight. The next morning (after your dad has left for work), or whenever its ready, place in ice cream maker. 

At the end of when it's churning stir in the chocolate chips (I simply fold them in while I'm pouring it into the container). Freeze until solid then serve! I garnished it with a few fresh raspberries and a square of chocolate to make it extra fancy. 


No comments: