Pages

Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Blueberry Skillet Cornbread


I got this mad craving the other day for cornbread. I even had my husband get one container of cornmeal while he was picking up our free Redbox rental randomly at the store. We got The Iron Lady if you were wondering. Rent it because Meryl Streep is amazing. 

Back to the cornbread. Normally I would bust out with some Jiffy mix or have some that Nana made (when I lived with them) but we have a whole set of cast iron cookware so I decided to do my own thang. I adapted a recipe on the back of the container that I thought I'd share it with you. 

Blueberry Skillet Cornbread

Ingredients
  • 3/4 cup yellow corn meal
  • 1 & 1/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 cup milk
  • 1 egg beaten
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 1 cup of frozen or fresh blueberries
  • 2 tbsp butter (for greasing the pan)
The plan:

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place 8 inch cast iron skillet in the oven while oven preheats.

Blend all dry ingredients (corn meal, flour, sugar, powder and salt). Then stir in the milk, egg, oil and honey until mixed. Finally fold in the blueberries (I put frozen blueberries in without thawing them beforehand).
Take cast iron skillet out of the oven and place butter into the skillet. Turn skillet so the bottom and sides are covered. Now pour the batter into the skillet and put in oven. 

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean and top is lightly brown. Cut into however many slices you want. Or just eat it straight out of the pan if you feel so inclines. 

Take a slice out of the skillet, while warm, slather some butter on it and eat that sucker UP. 


No comments: