Pages

Thursday, September 13, 2012

Quick Peach Preserves

Ballard Farmers' Market here in Seattle is the coolest! I had heard rumors from various sources prior to actually visiting and I was not disappointed. Well, I was disappointed I didn't buy the mini donuts but we'll save that for later.

 This past Sunday we met up with a few friends we were having dinner with that night to get some essential ingredients. The most exciting purchase we made was 10 pounds of peaches. I know, RIGHT? They had a sign advertising 20 lbs for 20 bones ($$) and we hopped on that and split the purchase. Needless to say you'll be getting a few peach recipes.

I adapted this recipe from Shutterbean's making of Quick Apricot Jam from the Sprouted Kitchen Cookbook. Best part about it, it's gloriously easy AND delicious.

Quick Peach Preserves

  • 1 1/2 lbs peaches (I used about 6)
  • 2 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1/3 cup of sugar

To Make:

1) Thoroughly clean and dry your peaches. Cut them in quarters, at some point removing the pit. Next skin the peaches. There are apparently fancy methods involving boiling for one minute, then dunking in cold water, then peeling, which I have yet to try. I basically just ripped the skin off / cut off the gross parts as well.

2) Toss all your ingredients in a thick-bottomed pan (I'll give you a dollar if you tell me what song I'm thinking of now that I wrote that). Stir them together and turn the heat on medium-high.


3) The peaches will start to release their juice and sort of disintegrate. It will take awhile, about 30-45 minutes. Stir often. As they cook longer you'll have to stir them more frequently to prevent them really sticking to the bottom of the pan. When they get to your desired consistency (I like mine with a few larger pieces) remove them from from the heat and let them cool.

4) Store in a clean, dry container. They should keep for 2 weeks.

I'm loving mine on plain yogurt, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and spoons.

Enjoy!

No comments: