Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Almond Steamer

You guys, I'm pretty excited about 2013. I just have a sense of anticipation for this year. This will probably be one of the more stable years I've had since before I started college. I'll be in the same city, not getting married, and hopefully not getting robbed! Granted, crazy things could happen but I feel really ready for this year. I'm excited to settle in here in Seattle, develop community, explore the city, read a lot, get better at my job, and learn more. I'm asking Jesus to do work in and through me. The possibilites of a new year are endless. 

Deep thoughts like this are often thought over a hot beverage of some kind. Because really, I love hot drinks. Tea, coffee, cocoa, apple cider. All delicious. 
My new favorite toasty beverage to consume is an almond steamer. It's spiced, cozy and healthy. Well, healthy depending on how much sweetener you add :) I encourage you to make this and invite a friend over to talk about the new year. Or drink alone, enjoying some peace and a good book.
Almond Steamer
adapted from Joy the Baker

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of your favorite brand of almond milk
  • honey, to taste
  • 1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 tsp cardamom
  • touch of pure vanilla extract (or a vanilla pod if you've got it)
To Make

1) Pour almond milk into a small sauce pan. If unsweetened almond milk stir in honey, or brown sugar if you prefer, to taste. It will melt as the milk heats. I added about 2 teaspoons of some fancy, fresh honey my parents had.

2) Using the tiniest grater you have (see above picture for adorable example) add nutmeg and cardamom. Stir occasionally over medium-low heat until very warm. Once warm enough, remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract. If you using a vanilla pod, add while the mixture is heating and take out before serving. 

3) Pour into two cups, or one very large cup, and serve with a cookie, or two. Enjoy!





1 comment:

Sarah said...

Great photos!! You're getting really good at these :)