Pages

Friday, January 11, 2013

Applesauce Jumbles

My in laws visited a few weeks ago and brought along a tin of cookies made by our Mimi. Tucked into the lid of that tin was the recipe card, from 1980 typed on a typewriter with hand written notes. What a treasure. 
The more I cook and read about food and eat the more I realize what a treasure recipes can be. Looking back my favorite gifts in recent years have been recipes from those close to me. My mom gave me a box with our family favorites written by her and my dad. My Nana (husband's grandma) gave me a journal with her tried and true recipes that she hand wrote for our wedding. And last year my Aunt collected my grandma's gems and put them into a mini cookbook for the family. And now this treasure from Mimi. What a collection!
These recipes may involve Velvetta and buffet spreads with deli ham and punch made with too much sugar but oh how they are loved. I fully intend to cook my way through them all as I live my life. Making the food makes me feel not so far away from them even though they may be gone or live hundreds of miles away.
These applesauce jumbles may not be from your grandma, but they're from mine and I think you should make them. What's not to love about a brown butter glaze on top of some deliciously soft cookies.
Applesauce Jumbles
makes about 3 dozen cookies

Ingredients for cookies:
  • 2 3/4 cups flour
  • 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp soda
  • 3/4 cup applesauce
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup chopped assorted nuts
  • 1/2 to 1 cup of chocolate chips (based on how many you generally like)
Glaze:
  • 1/3 cup browned butter
  • 2 cups confectioners sugar
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 2-4 tbsp water
To Make:

1) Heat oven to 375*. Mix dry ingredients, flour, salt, soda, and spices, set aside. In mixer cream together softened butter (if not soft, but in microwave for about 30 sec on defrost setting) and brown sugar until smooth. Add vanilla, applesauce and eggs and stir. Slowly add in dry ingredients. Finally, fold in nuts and chocolate chips.

2) Drop by rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheet. I use a melon baller so they're relatively even. Bake for 10 minutes. They don't get that brown on top but they should be done. Let cool before glazing.

3) To make the glaze add sugar to brown butter and mix well. Add in vanilla. Finally, add water, 1 tbsp at a time until glaze is desired consistency. 

5) When cookies are cooled, glaze cookies using your favorite method. I prefer the glaze in a sandwich bag with the corner clipped off. Let the glaze set and enjoy!



1 comment:

Glacier Dreaming said...

Thanks for sharing them @ Christmas. Love them.