Sometimes you need broccoli in your life. A healthy crunch between your teeth to make you feel like it's okay that you didn't do your cruches or go to yoga that day.
Maybe you sat inside because it was raining all day and drank cocoa and watched documentaries. It's alright because you're eating broccoli!
This is a particularly wonderful form of broccoli too. It's got a delicious dressing and can be served at room temp or cold. It's fancy enough to serve for Christmas (like I did) or laid back enough to pack in your lunch all week.
And its not just broccoli, we're adding in some red onions and apples too. The sweet, tangy combination makes this a winner.
from Kristen via "Vegetable Dishes I Can't Live Without"
For the salad
- 1 large bunch broccoli
- 1 tart apple, like granny smith
- 1 small red onion
for the dressing
- 2 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp honey
- 5 tbsp olive oil
1) Bring large pot of water to boil. Cut broccoli into large bite-sized pieces. Slice the red onion (like picture above). Put red onion into bottom of colander in the sink. Slice apple into half-inch pieces and set aside.
2) Once water is boiling dump in broccoli and simmer for 1-3 minutes, until color brightens and slightly cooked. Then pour broccoli and hot water over colander to slightly cook the onions and drain the broccoli. Leave there.
3) To make the dressing I just put all the ingredients, vinegar, mustard, garlic, salt and peper, honey and olive oil, into a jar and shake vigorously.
4) Put broccoli and onion into serving bowl. Add apples and combine. Drizzle dressing over the salad and use spoon to mix in until it's all covered. If you're making it ahead of time refrigerate until you're ready to eat it or serve at room temp. Enjoy!