Pages

Friday, October 26, 2012

Banana Muffins


Some days just call for muffins. Days where it's cloudy, days where it's sunny, days when you need breakfast, a snack or dessert. Moral of the story is I love muffins and can eat them all the time. I do actually. This batch served as an excellent snack for the bus on my way home from work. 



I'm such a sucker for this whole wheat banana muffin recipe. They're portable. They've got some crunch. They're slightly sweet but not over-the-top.


The only issue I had with the recipe is I hardly ever have overripe bananas. My husband and I eat excessive amounts of bananas so it takes a really over-the-top amount for us to get to that point. Thankfully, I had some last week and was able to adapt this recipe from the New York Times


 By the way, why did I just have to google overripe to see if it was one word or not? Embarrassing. Anyway, I hope you make these and like them.


Whole Wheat Banana Muffins
makes 12 muffins

Ingredients:

  • 1 and 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup ground flaxseed
  • 1/2 cup bakers wheat bran
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 egg
  • 3 mashed bananas
  • 1 cup walnut pieces

To Make:

1) Grease muffin tin. Preheat oven to 375 F. Mix together flaxseed, whole wheat, wheat bran, brown sugar, baking powder & soda and salt.

2) In another bowl mix mash your bananas. Then mix the egg, vegetable oil and milk. Add the dry ingredients to this bowl and stir. Stir just until mixed, batter will be lumpy and that's totally cool. Last thing, stir in walnut pieces.

3) Pour batter into muffin cups. Bake for 25-30 min, or until golden brown on top. I let mine cool in the muffin tin for a few minutes. They should come out easily and you can slide a knife around the edge of the muffin to release it. Cool on a rack and immediately consume three of them.

Enjoy!


No comments: