You know what always sounds good to me? Spaghetti. Or any pasta really. Something about italian carbs is always comforting. And you know what is awesome with pasta? Homemade marinara sauce. Don't worry, this isn't as labor intensive as that sounds. We probably could get really fancy and use fresh tomatoes and someday I would like to but for now we're keeping it simple with cans of crushed tomatoes and some spices you probably have in your cabinet already. The worst part? Smelling it in your house before it's ready.
Homemade Marinara Sauce
adapted from this Budget Bytes recipe
- 2 (28 oz) cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp dried basil (I used a few of my basic ice cubes)
- 1/2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tsbp balsamic vinegar
- salt & pepper
1) Put all of the ingredients in your crock pot. Add some water (I added 1/2 cup) if your crock pot tends to dry things out. Stir them the ingredients.
2) Cook on low for 6-8 hours. I like to leave it alone. At the end add S&P as you prefer. Serve over your favorite pasta or freeze for later use!