Pages

Thursday, October 11, 2012

Sugar & Spice Cookies, a study in black and white


I need your thoughts on gingersnap cookies. Store bought are just terrible. They're too crispy and super gingery, which I don't really enjoy. I've grown up calling this recipe gingersnaps but after some deep thoughts and taste testing, I think they're actually sugar and spice. It's also what the recipe card my mom made me said. 

Family recipes are simply the best. This one came from my Grandma Johnson and is a staple I grew up with my mom making. And the recipe makes tons of cookies, so perfect to make and share with your new co-workers. 


Sugar and Spice Cookies

Ingredients:
  • 1 and 1/2 cups butter, softened. 
  • 2 cups sugar plus extra for rolling cookies
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 cup molasses
  • 4 and 1/2 cups flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp cloves
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp ginger
To make:

1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. If you didn't think ahead (i.e. me, every day) and let the butter get soft, use the microwave on 50% power heat for about 20 seconds. Then, in a large bowl, cream butter, sugar, eggs and molasses until well mixed.

2) Mix dry ingredients in another bowl (flour, soda, salt, cinnamon, cloves and ginger). Add this to the molasses mixture until combined. 

3) Roll the batter into small balls and then roll in sugar. I like to do about 2 tbsp of dough for each ball, but you can decide based on what size cookies you like. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes. 

Enjoy!


1 comment:

Kristen said...

I have one from whitney that is super delicious. I would call them ginger and molasses cookies, but they are kinda like soft gingersnaps. let me know and I can email the recipe to you.