Pages

Friday, May 10, 2013

Books: Sweet Tooth, Essential Ingredients, Brick City

Sweet Tooth by Ian McEwan

Serena Frome is a young adult starting her professional life in M15, England's legendary secret service agency. She is assigned to a case, called Sweet Tooth, in which the government offers funding to authors whose policital views align with theirs. She must work with Tom Haley and obviously ends up involved with him but under the pretense she works for a freestanding literary agency. What will happen? This is by the same author as Atonement so I had some high hopes. Bottom line? I was disappointed. I never really liked Serena or the relationship she held with Tom. She is to blame for her own problems, for which I have little sympathy. I give it 2/5 stars.

The School of Essential Ingredients by Erica Bauermeister

Lillian is a woman who grew up formed by food. Mondays at her restaurant she holds a cook class that begin to influence the participants in the class. Each chapter reads about a different person in the class and how their lives are changing. Bauermeister is a lovely and simple writer. This book read beautifully, full of inspiration and charm. Lillian sounds like the kind of woman I would love to have as an aunt, poised and warm. And as an amateur cook/baker it inspires one to really stop and take time in the kitchen, to not be distracted by the things you could do while cooking and eating. I give 4/5 stars.



Living and Dying in Brick City by Sampson Davis

Davis is an emergency room doctor who spent years working at a hospital in New Jersey, down the street from where he grew up. He got himself out of a troubled childhood and into med school and went back to help the community he left. Each chapter highlights a different story from his time here and he uses that story to bring up an important issue and teach the readers something. I think since I am already in the medical profession the book was too simplistic for me. It think it would be great for people who don't know much about health but I was a little bored. On the plus side, it only took me a few hours to read. 2.5/5 stars.




No comments: