My general philosophy is that if something is vegan it's healthy. Therefore it's okay if I eat one of the vegan date bars as a dessert after breakfast, lunch and dinner. Cool, right?
One of the most fantastic parts about this is that there is NO oven involved. No turning on the oven. woo hoo.
Vegan Date Bars
(adapted from Oh She Glows)
Ingredients for crust:
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1/2 cup raw pecans
- 1 1/3 cups old-fashioned oats
- 10 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 30-35 Medjool dates (about 2.5 cups)
- 3/4 cup water
- Roughly chop the dates. In a food processor combine the oats, almonds, pecans and salt until it turns into a fine crumble. Add the 10 dates until combined. Melt the oil in microwave and put that in the food processor too. This mixture should be sticky. Save about one cup of this mixture until the end.
- Spray an 8x8 pan with non-stick spray. Dump the crust mixture and spread into the bottom of a pan. Press the mixture evenly into the bottom.
- Clean out the food processor. Bring the 3/4 cup water to a boil in the microwave and put the rest of the dates into the boiling water. Let soak for a 5-10 minutes.
- Dump water and dates into food processor and pulse until a paste forms. Scrape down the sides as often as you need to. Now, spread paste over the crust evenly. Finally, sprinkle the part of the crust mixture you saved over the top.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour up to overnight. Serve with a big glass of almond or soy milk or regular milk. Enjoy!